About the club:
Alderbury is a friendly, village, mixed bowling club which promotes the game of lawn bowls at all levels, providing the community with the chance to enjoy the sport and play in competitive and recreational matches.
The club offers membership to young (8 years) or old and is pleased to give new bowlers the chance to try the sport on our club nights, or by appointment. We pride ourselves on our equal opportunities policy and have facilities for the disabled.
The club is associated to:
Salisbury and District League
Westbrook Mixed Triple League
In 1932 several local village sportsmen thought it would be a good idea to have a bowling green in the village and approached the parish council. They kindly gave permission to develop a corner of the recreation ground as a bowling green.
The idea of a club in the village became more of a reality and founder members began digging out bracken by the roots, constructing ditches and banks and, in the autumn, buying and laying turfs.
The first A.G.M. was held on the 18th October 1933 forming the Alderbury Bowls Club. On the 16th May 1934 the ground was officially opened by the Countess of Radnor.
In these early times the club was well supported by other local clubs from Salisbury, Amesbury and Wilton
In 1940 the green was closed for the war years and it remained closed until 1948, when at a meeting it was decided to get at least 2 rinks working. Unfortunately, bracken, tall grass, moss and weeds covered the ground so progress to open the 2 rinks was slow. It then took a further 2 years to open the other two rinks making it a 4 rink ground.
ln 1953 the club applied to the parish council for more ground to make it into 6 rinks. The council gave their approval with the one proviso that it was funded by the club . It was not until 1962 that members levelled the ground and seeded it to form the 6 rinks it now has.
In the 60's the club decided to organise fund raising activities to replace the old timber club house. However in the summer of 1970 a member of the club saw that a Marley Concrete Building used by the Woodley Youth Club was available for purchase and as permission had already been given by the Parish Council and planning and building regulations granted, a decision was taken to purchase the building. Club members phyically dismantled it and move it to Alderbury. This building is still being used by the club and has been extended and upgraded several times.
At the AGM in 1970 a vote was taken to allow ladies to join the club.
The club welcomes new members of all abilities. Application forms are available from the club secretary at:
Membership fees are:
Full playing membership £90
Social membership £10
Those in full time education membership £10
New inexperienced members, £25 for the first year, thereafter the full subscription
Experienced bowlers joining: Half the annual subscription for the first year. Full subscription thereafter.
All members are eligible to play in league matches. The club enters the 'Salisbury and District Mens Triples League' and the 'Wilts Four Rink League'.
Ladies play in the 'Salisbury and District Ladies League'.
'The Westbrook League' is also a mixed triples league.
Besides the league matches, there are a further ten Club Competitions which you can enter, but if wish you can just enjoy recreational bowls at your leisure.
Alderbury Bowls Club, Rectory Road, Alderbury, Wiltshire, SP5 3AD